In 1945 Fr Alvaro Figueredo was the Parish Priest of St Anthony’s Church Sirsi North Canara. He had heard of the untiring efforts of Bethany Congregation in Mangalore, Dharwad and Guledgudd and contacted the then Superior General Mother Martha and expressed his desire for their service in Sirsi. In order to fulfil this Father Founder and Sr Magdaline started examining a place to start a convent. At that time Sirsi was a place full of mountains, forests, wild animals and it was infected with malaria. While Fr Founder who had no intention of starting a convent and was returning back, a citizen of Sirsi Mr Peter Machado insisted and requested with tearful eyes to start a convent in the name of Mother Mary. Looking at this gesture Fr Founder’s heart melted and he took the permission from the priest to start a convent.  Thus on 24 May 1945 Mr Peter Machado’s dream was fulfilled.

Sr Martha who became the Superior General came along with, Sr Macra, Sr Maura and Sr Manna to Sirsi to establish Ave Maria Convent. The eminent people of Sirsi Mr Sundar Rao Pandit, Mr Benny Dias, Mr Inas Dias, John Mascarenhas, Mr A. B. Vaz and Mr Peter Machado heartily welcomed the Sisters and extended their help to them with the necessary things. Mr Joseph Mascarenhas provided the immediate help needed to start the convent.  He started a school in his house and provided shelter to them without any rent. The church provided legally 6 acres of land on lease for 99 years to start the school and the convent. Mr Peter Machado opened a shop and the profit of it was given to the convent building. The sisters did knitting, embroidery, carpets and sold it. The money collected was used for the convent building.

On June 4th 1945 two schools were started; one of English Medium and other Kannada Medium. Later due to some reasons the Sisters English Medium School was closed down. Gradually every year one class was added and a fully-fledged Primary School was started.

In 1959 Mother Macrina was elected as the Superior General of Bethany Congregation. She desired to start a High School in Sirsi.  Mr B.R. Dias, Mr Vaz, Mr Mascrenhas, Mr Chauduri, Mr Dakappa, Mr M.S. Vaidya and the Parish Priest Fr Lobo formed a committee and encouraged to start a Girls High School. They applied to the B.E.O (Block Educational Officer) and got permission.  In 1959 June 16 along with 25 students High School was started. Sr Remigia became the first Headmistress. In the next week, the Government withdrew the permission.  But Sr. Potence met Mr Jewo D.D.P.I. and took re-permission. The DDPI came to Sirsi and inspected Ave Maria High School. He was so impressed by its discipline that he not only gave permission but also offered monetary help from Sirsi Muncipal Council and Marikamba Temple.

In the inception Ave Maria School was only limited to Girls. Later on it was changed to co-education. An English Medium section was added to the Kannada Medium Sections. As the numbers of students were increasing there was shortage of place and so in 1973 High School was shifted to new building.

 

Address Ave Maria High School, Sirsi, Uttara Kannada Dt, Karnataka - 581401
Telephone No 08384 - 226208
E-mail ID This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Year of Establishment 1959
Status VIII to X
Aided/Unaided Aided & Unaided
Affiliated to Karnataka State Board
Headmistress Sr Sujatha BS
Correspondent Sr Clarette BS

 

Sr Clarette BS

Correspondent

Sr Sujatha BS

Headmistress

 

School Building

 

School Building

 

 

Home | News | Sitemap | Contact Us

Copyright © 2016 - www.besmangalore.org . Powered by eCreators

Contact us

Bethany educational Society®
Bethany Convent
Bendur, Mangalore-575002
D.K. Dist, Karnataka State
Tel : 0824 -2223219(O) , 2218923(R)
E-mail : [email protected]